You thrive, not just survive
Hi, my name is Nicholas, but apart from my mum, everybody calls me Nick.
If you have 2 minutes, let me tell you a bit about what I do to help leaders like you and why I do it.
Since 1997, I have been working in banking and finance. I feel lucky to have worked and continue to work with some of the most ambitious, hardworking, talented and high achieving individuals in world. You may even be one of them.
During this successful and exciting journey, my career accelerated from individual contributor to senior global leader in one of the most performance demanding and challenging industries in the world.
In parallel, my life also changed from single guy to being blessed with a beautiful wife and two amazing children. Building a disciplined work-life balance was key to giving me a great work and home life.
Grumpy Old Dad
After many enjoyable years, I got to a rare point where I no longer enjoyed what I did. But I was stuck. What else could I do?
So, I stayed put and became anxious and unhappy. I started to disengage at work and I took my emotions home with me.
My daughter constantly asked me why I was unhappy and grumpy
This was a trigger that I had to do something, but what?
Looking back, the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. A colleague of mine had been on a coaching course at the weekend and wanted someone to practice on. I agreed, thinking I was helping him out, but boy was I wrong. We worked for weeks together and finally realised that it was ok not to know what to do. I had to try a new approach to find out what my next career move was.
I decided to take a year out to try these new things and spend more time with my family. I got my family’s support, which was critical, developed a plan and started execution.
It felt like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I was excited, focussed and driven to find out what my future direction would be.
I created and sold a web application, qualified as a coach and started building my new business.
Bolted Back to Safety
I loved it, but, unfortunately, I got scared. Could I really do this? Was I prepared to continue to back myself? Would I run out of cash? And, I don’t mind admitting, at that stage, I lost my bottle and bolted back to safety into another corporate leadership role. I convinced myself that this was just a holding pattern, but after a year I got stuck again and became disgruntled, disheartened and very unhappy. Grumpy old dad was back.
I hired a qualified coach who spent a year with me helping me discover my “why”, working on my fears, my limiting beliefs and my business plan. I have never worked so hard on my internal self before. When I was a 100% ready, I hit the eject button again.
Happy Dad is Back
I was so inspired by this transformation, that today I help others do the same by enabling leaders in banking and finance to step out of survival mode and re-create both a thriving career and home life.
A Little Bit More About Me
My career journey has taken many transitions over the past 25+ years. Initially I started as a software developer, progressed to a senior leader managing global teams of 300+ people at a global bank and now run my own coaching, mentoring and consultancy business.
I am a qualified personal performance coach accredited by the coaching academy as well as a member of the International Coaching Federation.
I live in a location known as the garden of England with my beautiful wife, two fantastic children and a Tibetan Terrier (disruptor) called Charlie.
SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT ME
– When I was a toddler, we had a German Shepherd called Lady. I used to take two biscuits outside. One for me and a dog biscuit for Lady. Somehow, I always ended up with the dog biscuit.
– I am scared stiff of crabs since I can remember. Christmas Island would be my worst nightmare.
– I loved space and the space shuttle when I was a kid and wanted to work for NASA until they wrote to be and told me they only employ Americans. I hope they have changed their policy now as this wasn’t very diverse.
– Just before my teens, I felt the peer pressure of following a football team, so I asked my dad what team I should support. He said as my favourite colour was red it was either Manchester United or Liverpool. So, I chose Liverpool. My mum and dad took me to Anfield once and dropped me outside the Everton ground in full Liverpool football kit. Good job I wasn’t spotted before they realised.
– My favourite film is top gun and I after I watched it, I wanted to join the Navy. Alas my dreams were destroyed as I failed officer evaluation.
– I am an avid James Bond fan and have watched Casino Royale over ten times
– I love listening to dance music and always enjoy a good dance.
– My favourite night of the week is a cosy Saturday night in front of the television with my wife, two children and a load of bad snacks that we rarely eat. Heaven.
Nicholas is an excellent mentor and coach. Using his wealth of management experience, he has helped me drive my career and overcome challenges that I face.
Nick is an incredible mentor and coach. Having worked in his team at Credit Suisse and learning from his leadership and people skills, I am glad he has considered coaching through his venture ‘Develite’. I have been following his blogs and it has helped me a lot and I highly recommend people to read them and connect with Nick to receive his coaching for personal and professional development.
Overall, Nick had a hugely positive impact on my business.
I would wholeheartedly recommend Nick to anyone who is looking to challenge and improve themselves whilst staying true to who the want to be.
Nick’s coaching helped me stop feeling completely overwhelmed by workload and shown me how I can take a calm step by step approach to decide what I need to achieve and then work out a logical order of tasks to get there.